Postdoctoral Researchers – Ewing Sarcoma-Van Andel Research Institute (United States)
Location: Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Position type: Full time/Regular
Deadline: April 2016
Description: The fellow will work to develop new therapeutic approaches to target the EWS-FLI1 transcription factor for Ewing sarcoma. The work will focus on evaluating the “druggability” of candidate gene targets with the goal of developing a high throughput screen.
- A M.D/Ph.D. graduate with experience and publications in the fields of molecular biology, cancer biology, or molecular pharmacology. Experience with the study of gene transcription is preferred but not required.
- An ideal candidate will have experience with various molecular biology techniques (i.e. DNA/RNA work, PCR, qPCR), cell culture and/or mouse models. Experience with in vivo models in cancer is preferred.
Description of a Successful Candidate
- A “team” focused scientist
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of the project
- A detail-oriented researcher that thinks critically to effectively design experiments and solve complex research problems
- A strong ability to take initiative and work independently
- A collaborative, hands-on researcher who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members and has an interest in helping junior lab members
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
The overall goal of the project is to study approaches to drug specific transcription factors and develop new approaches to treat pediatric solid tumors. The results from these studies could lead to the development of novel therapeutic strategies to improve clinical outcomes of Ewing sarcoma. These strategies will complement approaches to the targeting of EWS-FLI1 that we have already developed and translated to the clinic. Working with Dr. Grohar and his research team, the candidate will help guide research directions and provide expertise to facilitate the highest level of contribution to reach the project objectives.
Van Andel Research Institute (VARI) provides postdoctoral training opportunities to scientists beginning their research careers. The fellowships are to help promising scientists advance their knowledge and research experience and at the same time support the research endeavors of VARI under the mentorship of a VARI Faculty member.
Funding: While this project is currently funded, an integral part of postdoctoral training is the process of preparing a research proposal and writing a fellowship application. All VARI Postdoctoral Fellows are encouraged to apply for external funding as soon as it is practical and reasonable after hire. Receiving a fellowship award provides recognition for both the fellow and VARI
Position Status and Salary: Full-time, non-exempt position. Salary determined based on Doctorate/MD receipt date according to a set stipend schedule, which begins at $45,500 up to a maximum of $52,000. Benefits include:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
Application Process: Qualified applicants should provide following documents:
- A cover letter outlining research experience and interests
- curriculum vitae, and
- The names and address of three references.
To apply for this position and further information, please click the logo (below).
Looking for job like this? Subscribe to our jobs newsletter and never miss any opportunity