CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship-Designing Novel Transport Proteins for Synthetic Biology-Australia
Location: Black Mountain, ACT, Australia
Description: Australia is founding its future on science and innovation. Its national science agency, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is a powerhouse of ideas, technologies and skills for building prosperity, growth, health and sustainability. It serves governments, industries, business and communities across the nation.
CSIRO is seeking to appoint a highly motivated Postdoctoral Fellow in the Biocatalysis Team in the area of membrane protein biochemistry working at the intersections of biochemistry, molecular biology, structural biology and synthetic biology. The fellow will be based at the Black Mountain Laboratories in Canberra, the National Capital. The fellow will be part of a dynamic, multi-institutional, multi-disciplinary research team with expertise in: molecular biology, biochemistry, structural biology, synthetic biology, protein engineering and protein evolution. The fellow will be challenged with the task of developing the design principles for modifying the specificity and selectivity of transporter proteins to develop new functional components for use in synthetic biology. This project provides an opportunity to help develop a new, state-of-the-art research program in CSIRO.
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed
1.Education/Qualifications: A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as membrane protein biochemistry.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
2.Communication: High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including at national and international conferences.
3. Publications: A record of publications in quality, peer reviewed journals.
4.Collaboration: A history of professional and respectful behaviors and attitudes in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated expertise in membrane protein biochemistry and molecular biology.
- Demonstrated experience working with transport proteins.
- Highly developed communication skills in a range of fora (oral, written etc.) and to range of audiences.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
- Experience in x-ray crystallography, or other structural characterization, of membrane proteins.
- Experience in synthetic biology.
CSIRO is a values based organisation. You will need to demonstrate behaviors aligned to our values of:
- Integrity of Excellent Science
- Trust & Respect
- Creative Spirit
- Delivering on Commitments
- Health, Safety & Sustainability
To be appointed as a Postdoctoral Fellow within CSIRO, candidates are required to have submitted their PhD at the time of commencement, as a minimum requirement, if PhD conferment has not been obtained. If a candidate has submitted, but their PhD has not yet been formally attained, the starting salary will be CSOF4-1 which $78, Upon CSIRO receiving written confirmation that the PhD has been awarded (within a six month period from commencement date), the salary will be increased to the negotiated level and the difference will be back-paid to the Officer’s start date.
How to Apply: Please apply for this position online at www.csiro.au/careers. You may be asked to provide additional information (online) relevant to the selection criteria. If so, then responding will enhance your application so please take the time to provide relevant succinct answers. Applicants who do not provide the information when requested may not be considered.
If you experience difficulties applying online call 1300 984 220 and someone will be able to assist you. Outside business hours please email: email@example.com.